Monday, September 11, 2017

Dragon Tree Wash

As always, today we will honor and remember
those impacted by the events on this day in 2001.

Last Saturday my family explored another hidden area of the ranch.

We hiked the riverbed for a few miles throwing and collecting rocks, 
examining fossils, admiring the rough landscape, 
finding (and keeping) bugs, and seeing the most
beautiful iridescent beetles ever.

We also discovered in a very old, very twisted, and withered
juniper tree shaped like a dragon head (or if you're Lottie, a goat).
Someone put a twizzler in his mouth as his tongue.
We decided to name that area of the ranch "Dragon Tree Wash".
Another very exciting discovery
was made by Mr. Nielson who found a gorgeous deer skull/rack 
tangled up in a washed-out river bed. 
It's going to be a treasure in our new home someday.
We also picked juniper needles and rubbed them in
between our finger smelling and reminiscing 
about Christmas and how different our holidays will be living at the ranch.
Then the sun began to set, the wind picked up, and the sky clouded over. 
It was time to head back.  Plus I needed to start dinner
 (veggie soup, thanks to Boss Nielson's garden--
the garden that keeps on giving!),
as it was our evening to feed our missionaries.  
Visiting and leaving the ranch is a process.  There are several gates that
need to be unlocked and opened, and then locked and closed again.
First rule at the ranch is: ALWAYS LOCK THE GATES.
So, if we have visitors one of us always needs to go pick up 
our guests then and then escort them out.

After dinner I asked the Little Nies to clean up while
 Mr. Nielson and I bundled up and drove
 the wheeler in the pitch black night 
leading the missionaries in their truck out of the property. 
A few times on our way home Mr. Nielson turned off the wheeler lights
as we sped along the road, and I hate that.

We came home and snuggled together around Mr. Nielson's phone,
(we don't have a TV) to watch the BYU vs Utah football game.
The kids and I wore our cougar blue shirts all day in hopes for some good luck.
Sadly, it didn't work.  
Better luck next year cougs!