Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My rescue

I live on a hill.  A very steep hill.  
In the winter that steep hill is treacherous
(in the past, I have written about this scary driveway).
Early one morning I woke up to snow.  Tons of snow.  
Mr. Nielson was hundreds of miles away at the ranch-
which is just fine because I am capable of taking care of the homestead.
The hardest part while he is gone is sleeping alone and getting everyone ready 
mornings...especially this particular snowy morning. 

Lucky for all of us, Claire and Jane were offered a ride to school.
I pushed them out the door all bundled up and 
watched them out my window as they held on to each other 
walking (sliding) down our slippery
driveway and to the bottom of the hill where they were picked up.

Minutes later, I hesitantly packed up the boys and Lottie in the car. 
I drove very cautiously down my snow packed hill, my heart racing.
I got the boys to school in one piece...a little late, but alive.

The whole time we were in the car, big huge snowflakes feathered down and
 stuck to my windshield and to the road.
As I started up my driveway I got about half-way and my tires started spinning
 and I began fishtailing out of control backward.
My heart was racing and I immediately began sobbing.  
My foot firmly pressed to the break. 
 I turned around and looked at Lottie in her car-seat
she was in her little nightgown and socks, she looked at me with concern.
With Mr. Nielson gone, I panicked.  Who would help me?  What would I do?
I was frustrated because I couldn't do this myself,
 and I was so mad at how frightened I was.
Fear had stopped me in my tracks and I was incapable of fixing the situation.
That bothered me.
If we are smart, we turn to God in these scary moments for direction and help.
When I prayed my brother Matt popped in my head. 
 He lives just down the street, and I knew he would help me.
(Me and Matt 1983)

I knew if I called him I would cry and the situation would become a much bigger 
deal than it really was, so I texted him:
"Hi Matt, are you home?"
I waited on the hill my foot still pressed to the brake. 
 I waited and waited for him to respond for what seemed like hours.
He must be at work.
I texed again:
No response.
The snow was now completely covering my windshield.
I finally called him.
He answered right away.
"Baboon (he calls me that) are you ok?"
"Yes, but...."
then the tears began and in between sobs I explained my situation. 
"I'll be right up".
And he was.  Minutes later his truck pulled up and he hopped out.
 He came up to the car window where I sat crying in the front seat.
I was in my my mariluz dress, coat and Uggs and he
was dressed in his nice clothes, and I knew I had interrupted him at work.
(my siblings 2015. Matt is on my right)

"You OK?  he asked smiling at me.
"Get out and I'll help you".
I was freaking out a little bit as I let my foot off the break pedal 
thinking I'd still slip backwards and die.
The car moved only slightly and I was so relived to let Matt take over.
 He got in, backed the car down the icy driveway with 
Charlotte inside watching Aladdin on DVD player. 

He parked the car safely for me, got back in his truck and waved to me
as he headed back to work.
I watched him until his car was out of sight down my street.
My tears of fear turned to tears of gratitude and love.

I got inside my house and texted Matt right away.

He had rescued me, it was no
big deal for him, but to me, this was huge.