Thursday, August 06, 2009

99 bottles of beer on the wall.

Mr. Nielson got back from Bluewater with four sleepy children and a new haircut.
In fact, the whole family got new cuts thanks to Auntie Darin who has been the Nielson family personal hairstylist since Mr. Nielson was in high school.

Days were spent on the quads and horses while the nights were filled with fireside dinners and star watching. Sunburns, bug bites and root beer bottles filled with orange colored rocks all greeted me at the door.

“Are you ready to do this again?” I asked Mr. Nielson as we lay in bed later that night.
“Yes, because you’re coming” he said snuggling up to me.

And it is true.
Today we packed up the navigator headed to Whidbey Island, in the beautiful state of Washington.
Mr. Nielson pulled the trailer behind so we could bring the cruisers and enough room to bring back fresh salmon and Washington berries. We also invited Umi (my mother) and my niece Lindsay Kay.
After farming out Jimmy and the birds (Michael and Sara) to dear family members, I made a few stops before we left the Beehive State. Somehow Nicholas left his saltwater sandals at the ranch and I was just lucky enough to have bought Nordstrom’s last pair of little boy (with chubby feet) navy sandals. Whew!
And of course we got Café Rio before departing.
The drive was pretty smooth sailing until Mr. Nielson got pulled over in Idaho. After getting a $75.00 ticket from a J.H. Yamakuchi, Claire profoundly announced she was not sure of the officer was a Mr. or a Mrs.
We didn’t either.
As we got closer to Le Grand, Oregon the children became very anxious. Umi suggested we sing ‘99 bottles of beer on the wall’ and so we did. And just as we got to zero, we had reached the exit we all clapped and cheered, it was perfect.
Except for the fact that Jane who must of told us she needed to go to the bathroom 938,439,0280,48,000 times.
The night was damp and quiet except for the sound of a train running right next to us. I invited Ollie up to my lap and I rolled the window down and we stuck our heads out to hear the power of the train. In my door window I saw Ollie’s face. He was practically in heaven. It was another moment of gratitude I felt to my Heavenly Father who spared my life.
Umi and Lindsay took care of Gig’s every need and Mr. Nielson chewed on his sun flower seeds the whole time occasionally rubbing my neck and singing Sinatra songs.
Tomorrow we will head into Seattle and on to the island.